Dry Brush – (Fine Art Watercolor)

TheAntiqueTrade.co.uk Glossary of Antique Terms D

Dry Brush – (Fine Art Watercolor) Applying relatively dry inks or water paints lightly over a surface, creating an area of broken color -- the new color having attached to the high spots but not to the low, so that traces of the paper or under color remain exposed. This may be done by holding the brush so that the side of its bristles lies flat against the paper, or by pulling it rapidly across the surface. In oil painting, dragging stroke or scruffing is the name given to this effect. In Japanese art tradition, calligraphic dry brush strokes are called kasure.


Post a Comment