Doulton Burslem Doulton Lambeth - (Ceramics England)

TheAntiqueTrade.co.uk Glossary of Antique Terms D

Doulton Burslem & Doulton Lambeth - (Ceramics, England) In 1878, Sir Henry Doulton purchased Pinder, Bourne and Company of Burslem. Queen Victoria knighted Henry Doulton in 1887 for his innovations in the ceramic art. In 1882, the company became Doulton and Company, Ltd. In 1882, a second factory was built in Burslem, which continues to produce the famous figurines, jugs, and tablewares. It added porcelain production and earthenware production to its offerings in 1884. Also in 1884, Doulton added decorated porcelain to the other production lines. Doulton figures were made at the Burslem plants from 1890 until 1978. Stoneware production ceased at Lambeth in 1956. Although many of the pieces produced in the 19th century bearing these early marks, are priced beyond the reach of the average collector. During the 1870's pieces designed by noted Lambeth School artists such as sculptor George Tinworth (1843-1913) and Hannah Barlow (1851-1916) and her sister Florence, were fired in the Doulton kilns and drew the favorable attention of art critics, the general public and even Queen Victoria who ordered pieces sent to Windsor Castle. Having attracted the attention of the royal family, the factory was granted a Royal Warrant by King Edward VII in 1901. This resulted in the company adopting bold new markings featuring a crown and lion and a new name, Royal Doulton. Ceramic wares produced at Vauxhall and then at Lambeth, the driving force behind the business of Doulton & Watts being John Doulton (1793-1872). Typical are relief decorated stoneware jugs, salt-glazed stonewares, particularly ornamental pieces; but, of course, even more typical are the sanitary products of this well-known firm.

0 comments:

Post a Comment