Coalport Porcelain Factory - (Ceramics Porcelain England) Glossary of Antique Terms C

Coalport Porcelain Factory - (Ceramics, Porcelain, England) This porcelain factory founded about 1796 by John Rose who had been with Thomas Turner at Caughley. In 1799 Rose bought out his former employer and in 1814 transferred the Caughley concern to Coalport. Then in 1820 Rose acquired what was left of the Nantgarw enterprise and so secured Billingsley's recipes and moulds. John Rose died in 1841; his nephew, William Rose, continued the business till 1862, since when it has been in various hands. The earliest Coalport cannot be distinguished from Caughley with any certainty. Generally speaking the paste is excellent and with a good glaze but there is a lack of aesthetic quality in form and decoration, save in the case of the more famous imitations. Sevres, Meissen, Chelsea, were all imitated extensively, complete with marks. From c. 1840 elaborate dinner and dessert services were a feature, lavishly gilded. Marks include 'CD', csn', 'Coalport' in long-hand, 'John Rose & Co.' Note that the words 'Coalport' and 'Colebrookdale' are synonymous.


Post a Comment