Catalina Island Tile and Pottery - (Ceramics Pottery)

TheAntiqueTrade.co.uk Glossary of Antique Terms C

Catalina Island Tile and Pottery - (Ceramics, Pottery) Catalina Island Tile and Pottery was made on Catalina Island 26 miles off the Coast of California. It was established by the Santa Catalina Island Company to take advantage of the clay deposits discovered by William Wrigley, Jr. and David M. Renton and, more importantly, to use these to help reduce construction costs on the Island by producing building materials locally. The pottery was founded in 1927 and made brick and tile, they are best known for their colorful dinnerware lines which they started making soon afterward. They used red and brown clay in the beginning until 1930, 1931 and 1932 they used a variety of colored clays and from 1933 until they sold the business they used white clay and had distinctive glaze colors such as Toyon red, Descanso green, Mandarin yellow, and others. Marks used from 1927 until 1937 were an incised mark stating Catalina Island or just Catalina. After the factory closed, the molds were sold to Gladding McBean on the mainland. They used the Catalina name for a while and marked it with blue or black ink the marks were Catalina Rancho or Catalina Pottery.


Catalina Island Pottery and Tile Island Tr 1927-1937Catalina Island Pottery and Tile Island Tr 1927-1937

0 comments:

Post a Comment