Calmes - (Furniture Glass Lighting) Glossary of Antique Terms C

Calmes - (Furniture, Glass, Lighting) Calmes from Latin word calamus meaning reed. A calmes is a cast strip of lead used to assemble a panel of glass either stained or leaded. Calmes are H-shaped in section and in the medieval period they were cut and shaved to the desired width and length; in later times they were milled. The central part is called the heart or core, and the part that covers the glass is called the leaf or the flange. Individual calmes were soldered to each other where strips met. Also called cames.


Post a Comment