Bureau - (Furniture)

TheAntiqueTrade.co.uk Glossary of Antique Terms B

Bureau - (Furniture) A French term that appears in England in the late seventeenth century, but it has not been clearly distinguished from other terms such as secretary, scrutoire and escritoire used for writing desks or cabinets. By 1803 Sheraton could say (in his Cabinet Dictionary) that the term was 'applied to common desks with drawers under them'. In combination the word is used for Bureau-Bookcase, Bureau-Cabinet, Bureau Dressing-table, Bureau-Table; Bureau-Writing-table, Tallboy Bureau. A Bureau plat is not used of an English piece of furniture but refers to a writing-table with a flat top and drawers beneath as made in France from the beginning of the eighteenth century.


Post a Comment