Bristol Porcelain - (Ceramics Porcelain)

TheAntiqueTrade.co.uk Glossary of Antique Terms B

Bristol Porcelain - (Ceramics, Porcelain) 
(1) Soft paste. The factory (originally a glass-house) founded about 1749 by Benjamin Lund and William Miller. Soaprock was used in the paste. Few examples survive, mostly service-ware, small items like sauce-boats. The marks 'Bristoll' and 'Bristoll 1750' are known. The factory transferred to Worcester in 1752 and wares which cannot be assigned with certainty to one or the other manufacture are designated 'Bristol/Worcester'. The term 'Lund's Bristol' is often used; so is 'Lowdin's Bristol' (William Lowdin was the original owner of the glass-house). 
(2) Hard paste. The Plymouth factory of William Cookworthy was transferred to Bristol in 1770. Cookworthy withdrew from the venture in 1773 and it was carried on by Richard Champion until closure in 1782, after which Cookworthy's patent passed to New Hall. Champion looked to Meissen and Sevres for his inspiration. Some figures were made, but tableware was the staple product. A wide range of porcelains were manufactured, ranging from lavish made-to-order services to 'cottage Bristol' of a humble kind. The cross in various crude shapes is the main mark, sometimes accompanied by a date or a number. The crossed swords of Meissen were used a lot.

Lund's Bristol and Early Worcester Porcelain 1750-: The A.J. Smith CollectionLund's Bristol and Early Worcester Porcelain 1750-: The A.J. Smith Collection

0 comments:

Post a Comment