Berlin Porcelain - (Pottery Porcelain Ceramics German)

TheAntiqueTrade.co.uk Glossary of Antique Terms B

Berlin Porcelain - (Pottery, Porcelain, Ceramics, German) A Berlin factory was founded in 1752 by one Wilhelm Kaspar Wegely who had the aid of Johann Benckgraff from Vienna and the approval of Frederick the Great. Hard-paste porcelain was made, mostly in the manner of Meissen. The factory closed in 1757. The mark is the letter 'w'. In 1761 another factory was established, this time by Johann Ernst Gotzkowsky; it was acquired in 1763 by Frederick and became known as the Konigliche Porzellanmanufaktur, by which name it was known until the First World War when the style changed to Staatliche Porzellanmanufaktur. The letter 'G' is the earliest mark (1761-3), then a sceptre until about 1830, after which the letters 'KPM' in conjunction with an orb or a Prussian eagle were used.

0 comments:

Post a Comment